This short chapter relies heavily on the Norfolk Churches http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/nordelph/nordelph.htm and Norfolk Mills http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/ websites to whom I am indebted.
It is difficult to research Nordelph without coming across the Revd Edwin Emmanuel Bradford (1860-1944) who was vicar of this parish from 1905 until 07 February 1944. He graduated from Exeter College, Oxford, in 1884 and was ordained at St Albans the following year. He went on to serve as curate in St Petersburg, before returning to minister in Eton and Upwell. Described as a Uranian poet, his work was plainly homoerotic.
Holy Trinity, Nordelph was erected in 1865 with money bequeathed by the Revd William Gale Townley. In 2010 it was under notice of demolition for structural reasons (photographs courtesy of the Diocesan record office) and was brought to the ground soon afterwards in May of that year http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/nordelph/nordelph.htm
The church contained fine stained glass by Robert Turnill Bayne (1837-1915) which dated
to 1865 (Ron Stannard, Nordelph community website - sadly currently not available)
The Well Creek bridge used to be 50 metres further east
David Hodgson (1798-1864) was a member of the Norwich School and an artist in several different media, not least lithographs; Francis Stone was his father-in-law and an architect. Together, they published the catchily-titled 'Picturesque views of all the bridges belonging to the County of Norfolk: in a series of eighty-four prints in lithography' in 1830. The assistant keeper of art at the Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery has confirmed that this lithograph comes from a water-colour by Francis Stone, and now held in the museum
Looking west towards the village centre in the 1920s
The old bridge in December 1951 looking east with the Holy Trinity church in the background. The Well Creek appears well maintained.
Early 1950s? From the north west. The level of maintenance does not correspond to the previous photograph. Sugar beet barges no longer use the Creek
Looking west from the south side of the Well Creek (Nordelph Community website)
c.1905 with the newly built steam pump behind (Norfolkmills) This drainage pump could be found about a third of a mile west of the village on Popham's Eau. It was demolished in the late 1920s, being replaced by diesel pumps and later ones driven by electricity http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/WindmillsD/nordelph-upwell-fen-drainage.html
Nordelph Well Creek drainage mill was built on the bank of Well Creek at Nordelph to drain Nordelph Fen.
The mill was sometimes known as Betty's Mill. By 1989, the mill had been truncated to its octagonal red-grey brick base with one storey of black vertical boarding with a pronounced batter. The base contained windows and doors with a chimney stack on opposite sides and a bungalow had been added. (March 1976) http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/WindmillsD/nordelph-well-creek-drainage.html
Also, out in Nordelph Fen towards the Old Bedford River was another drainage mill, now a stylish private residence. More on this at http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/WindmillsD/nordelph-fen-drainage.html
The school - now a private residence
Adrian S Pye . The War Memorial is covered in considerable detail at
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Nordelph.html The Roll of Honour website is a great source of information for family historians.
Pubs & Beerhouses
The Chequers. Closure came in 2006
Other pubs have been noted in the village including the New Bridge Inn, Red Hart and Swan. Further information is available at http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkn/nordelph/nordelind.htm